Calgary is Canada’s fourth largest city and boasts a vibrant and growing music community home to come of the country's best and most promising talent. Enter the YYC Music Awards which is returning for its second year on September 24th at The Palace Theatre. The awards show recognises the cream of the local scene's crop across 20 categories (and two new ones for 2017 - Classical Recording of the Year and Industry Person of the Year).
Alternative Recording of the Year
Blues Recording of the Year
Classical Recording of the Year
Country Recording of the Year
DJ/Electronic Recoding of the Year
Female Artist of the Year
Group of the Year
Industry Person of the Year
Jazz Recording of the Year
Male Artist of the Year
Metal Recording of the Year
Music Video of the Year
Pop Recording of the Year
Rap/Hip Hop Recording of the Year
Rock Recording of the Year
Roots/Folk Recording of the Year
Singer/Songwriter of the Year
Single of the Year
Zackariah and The Prophets Memorial Award
Before submitting to YYC Music Awards please read the following in full:
- The eligibility period for the 2017 YYC Music Awards is between March 1, 2016 and February 28, 2017. This timeframe will be strictly enforced, and we will not accept submissions for materials recorded outside this time frame.
- "Release date" for YYCMA purposes is defined as the date of first shipment to retail, radio or posted online release date. Proof of online transaction or shipment may be requested. This applies to all submissions whether single, album or video!
- People’s Choice category and Zackariah and the Prophets categories are excluded from this requirement.
- Artists from the Calgary area, including Airdrie, Banff, Canmore, Cochrane, Strathmore and areas up to a maximum 125 km radius of the City of Calgary.
- Please note, there will be a $5.00 per category submission fee this year. You will be taken to a payment page when you hit submit at the end of the form.
Zackariah and the Prophets Memorial Award Submission:
- This award is not about the most polished band or most professional yet, they may not even have more than a couple of demo’s posted so far but it’s about the band that is taking all those baby steps and embody possibility and promise, taking into account the criteria outlined below:
Progression: progression of skills, musicality, and presence in local scene.
Musicality: blend on instruments, interesting musical concepts, overall song layout and structure.
Originality: a unified and distinct sound, compositional arrangement, unique and interesting.
Direction: sense of unified sound and layout displayed in EP or sound samples. Cohesive throughout.
Social media presence: easily found online content. Information regarding releases, shows, general band/artist info. Open to artist with 2 or less independent releases.
- Artists are required to submit an essay of 500 words or less, outlining why they think they should be considered for the Zackariah and the Prophets Memorial Award, based on the above criteria. This can include but is not exclusive to highlighting steps you are taking to build your band and brand, accomplishments you have achieved and where you are at in your career. Just tell us who you are and what you are about.