Whether it's the big ones like Download Festival or the small ones your local gig promoter is putting on in the beer garden of your favourite pub, the best thing about festivals is discovering your new favourite band. If you're based in or around the Leeds area, one of the best places to do that is Live at Leeds. Taking place this year on May 4th, Live At Leeds is a multi-venue, cross-city event which brings together some of the hottest new names in rock, indie, punk and pop for a day of music.
Not only is Live At Leeds the place to find your new favourite band, as we've learned over the years, it's also one of the places where music fans get to see the bands who will hopefully. be shaking up the music scene over the next twelve months. Obviously with twenty+ stages to look at, it's going to be impossible to see everyone, so we've picked a few names from this year's line-up who we're looking forward to checking out.
1. Horror My Friend (GigWise Stage - Leeds Beckett SU)
- Mashing together noisy indie rock with post-punk rawness, Adelaide trio Horror My Friend have been making noises all over the Australian scene with their sound which sits comfortably alongside bands like The Cribs and Pixies.
Check out Horror My Friend's video "Pavement":
2. Ivory Wave (The Lending Room)
- Ivory Waves acid house trip will take you back to an era when the likes of the Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses were dominating the music scene. Expecct massive beats aplenty!
Check out Ivory Wave's video "Cool Kids":
3. Death By Unga Bunga (The Key Club)
- Well, just for the name alone really! That and the fact that these Norwegian power-pop lads look like their live set could end up being one of the highlights of the day especially if you're a fan of bands like Weezer and Green Day which we very much are!
Check out Death By Unga Bunga's video "Soldier":
4. Swim Deep
- Drawing inspiration from the 80's dream-pop sound and given that bands like Wolf Alice and The 1975 are now household, festival headlining, arena-fillingly huge, now could be just the right time for this pysch-rock quintet to kickstart their career.
Check out Swim Deep's video "Honey":
5. Saint Agnes (The Key Club)
- Want nothing better on a Saturday afternoon than to be jammed into a sweaty club having your senses battered by some dirty White Stripes insired rock n' roll? We recommend you head down to the Key Club then for these pysch-rockers.
Check out Saint Agnes video "Welcome To Silvertown":
6. The Dunts (The Chapel)
- Dragging themselves out of the council estates of Scotland, we guarantee The Dunts are going to make sure that, if the beer doesn't get you, their snotty, obnoxious punk rock will send you home with a fucking great big headache.
Check out The Dunts video "G53":
- With a good few hundred bands to pick from there are still plenty more we recommend with honourable mentions going to: Hot Milk (The Key Club), Sam Wilde (The Social), Drenge (Leeds O2 Academy), Heavy Rapids (Leeds Beckett SU), Menace Beach (Yorkshire Music Forum Stage - HiFi) and Whenyoung (Farah Stage - Leeds University Union Refectory).
Live At Leeds 2019 is a multi-venue festival taking place in Leeds City Centre on May 4th 2019. For further details and information, head to www.liveatleeds.com.