Day 2 of Midgardsblot and as soon as the gate opened we made our way to the Kaupang Stage for Metal Yoga. After that, an epic viking battle took place in front of the Valhalla Stage. Lots of great bands played on both stages including Acyl, Kaunan, Apocalypse Orchestra, Nexion, Garmana, Rotting Christ and Dimmu Borgir.
Here are 5 reasons why you should go to Midgardsblot next year:
1. There’s something for everyone. Of course there is Metal, but not every band is as brutal as Rotting Christ. There is Folk Metal, like Acyl from Algeria, who also have a distinct Middle Eastern/North African sound. There’s also Folk music like Garmana from Sweden. Obviously these bands won’t be playing again next year, but there will be other bands of similar genera to entertain all types of music fans.
Have a look at this quick video highlighting some of sights and crowds that attended this year's edition of the festival.
2. It’s a learning experience. With various seminars held every day of the festival, you can really learn a lot about the people who lived in Iron Age Scandinavia.
3. It’s a religious experience. The festival opens with a Blot and ends with a closing ceremony. These ceremonies are performed by people who have deeply held beliefs in Norse Gods. They are not actors and they perform these rituals with sincerity.
4. There is a Viking Village where you can mingle with reenactors who live, work, and play like Vikings. Many of the Viking reenactors sell handmade leather gear, jewelry, clothing, and of course, drinking horns. Because it’s not a festival without drinking horns.
5. It’s a small festival. You’re not going to get lost or wander around wondering where your drunk friend went. It’s quick and easy to get from one stage to another. An extra bonus is there are no overlapping band times so you can see all the bands if you want. So, if you’re looking for a different kind of festival, definitely check out Midgardsblot!