“Christmas time is here!!!!” Ah yes, it is one again that joyous time of the year. Christmas is rapidly approaching and everyone is getting into the spirit. Some people, like myself, fully embrace the season and go all out, blaring nothing but the jolliest of tunes. For others, however, it can get really old really quick and they just want something with a bit of kick to it. Well, look no further, because we are going to give you some hard rocking Christmas songs that’ll get you in the spirit while staying true to your favourite artists.
10.August Burns Red - “Carol Of The Bells”
- An ABR tune had to be included here and while it was difficult since they have an entire album dedicated to Christmas songs, this track always stood out to me. It is also arguably the most popular of them all making an appearance on a little television show called American Dad.
09.Blink-182 - “I Won't Be Home This Christmas”
- Sometimes, Christmas just doesn't tickle your fancy. You want to get into it, but it all comes off as annoying more than anything. Luckily there are an array of jolly, anti-Xmas songs that we will be going into.
08.All Time Low - “Merry Christmas, Kiss My Ass”
- Going through a breakup? We hear you. There's so much cheer around and you're just not having it. This is the perfect hateful, holly jolly song to get you through to December 26th. The accompanying music video starring a bitter puppet makes the song so much better.
07.Breathe Carolina - “Mile High Christmas”
- One of the more interesting takes on festivities, Breathe Carolina based this song around a night of partying with Santa on Christmas Eve. It’s definitely the path less traveled for Christmas themed music but it has its place.
06.Issues - “Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays”
- Issues’ take on my personal favourite holiday song is done in fantastic taste. It pays homage to the original and adds the perfect amount of flare to make it into their own.
05.Fall Out Boy - “Yule Shoot Your Eye Out”
- Named after the iconic line from classic 1983 film, A Christmas Story, this acoustic ballad is another one not as it seems, with a catchy guitar lead and upbeat chord progressions yet rather hateful lyrics.
04.The Maine - “Ho Ho Hopefully”
- On the not so hateful side, this number from the Arizona emo group is the ideal cute song to cuddle up to with your significant other. The band does have two EPs dedicated to Christmas songs so if this doesn’t rub you the right way, maybe the other ones will convince you.
03.Motionless In White - “Santa's Pissed”
- I don’t even know where to begin with this one. The whole thing is an experience to have just to sort out what the hell is going on here. Without a doubt high up on my list of songs of the season.
02.Type O Negative - “Red Water (Christmas Mourning)”
- Okay, I’m not going to lie. This one is straight up eerie to get through. It is a beautiful song instrumentally, but lyrically is by far the most depressing Christmas song you can listen to.
01.Lemmy, Billy F. Gibbons, Dave Grohl - “Run Rudolph Run”
- To close our list, we have an absolute powerhouse of a collaboration. Grohl of both Nirvana and Foo Fighters, Gibbons of ZZ Top and the late, great Lemmy of Motorhead come together to take on a classic tune, putting the original to shame.