Fan Expo, Canada’s largest fan convention, recently unveiled its cosplay guest line-up. While professional cosplayers like Jessica Nigri will doubtlessly attract a lot of attention when the event takes place at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre from August 31 to September 2, there are just as many cosplayers, both Canadian and international, whose tables con attendees should visit to snap a selfie, and maybe buy a signed print. Here are our top 5 recommendations.
- The Canadian cosplay community will be well represented at Fan Expo 2018. Arguably one of Canada’s best known professional cosplayers, Woods has a sizable following thanks to her Geekin’ Gorgeous YouTube channel as well as appearances at cons around the world.
- After taking a year off from the con, Utah-based cosplay model Joanie Brosas will return to this year’s event. A Playboy model, Brosas got her start modelling at a Star Trek convention in 2010 and the rest is history. She has gone on to become a fixture in the convention circuit and appeared on a number of TV shows, as well as showing considerable musical chops on the Spidey Beats YouTube channel.
Check out Karli Woods interviewing LeeAnna Vamp at Fan Expo Canada 2014.
- One of the many Canadian cosplayers making an appearance at this year’s event, she describes herself as “a Canadian girl who loves Batman!” She’s cosplayed as characters from everything from comics to anime as well as glamour modelling. Discover more via Violet Love’s YouTube channel.
- Also known as “the ghoul of your dreams” and the “Halloween Goddess”, the self-professed “fan and nerd at heart” will be in her element when she returns to Fan Expo or, as she calls the convention crowd, her “people at her home away from home”. In addition to cosplaying, Vamp also hosted the 2017 premiere of the hit AMC zombie series The Walking Dead as well as having appearances on Ghosted and the live action horror short Zombie 360, among others. Check out the spooky-good Vamp YouTube channel.
See Brit Bliss dressed up as Cat Woman from Fan Expo Dallas 2017.
- Bliss has been cosplaying since 2014. She says that she enjoys dressing as Marvel Comics characters in her bio but also likes to dress as characters from video games. She’s an avid gamer who enjoys bringing her favorite characters to life, making as many parts of her costumes as she can having learned to sew at the age of 12. She had been modelling since she was 14, but moved away from it only to later come back after discovering that cosplaying gave her a way to embrace her nerdiness.
In addition to Karli Woods and Violet Love, other Canadian cosplayers who will have tables at Fan Expo include Evilyn13, Audrey Cosplay and Luxlo Cosplay. Visit these ladies and show support for Canadian cosplayers!
Check out the “ABANDONED” video from LeeAnna Vamp.